Do I need a permit?

To travel the Central Arnhem Road from the Stuart Highway via Bulman to Nhulunbuy requires a permit from the Northern Land Council (NLC) in advance.

Permits can take up to two weeks to process. The road is not suitable for caravans or boat trailers and they are not permitted by the NLC, only sturdy off-road camper trailers. The NLC office in Nhulunbuy is contactable on  08 8986 8500 and the Katherine office  08 8971 9899.

To stay in Nhulunbuy, you will also require a general permit, to find out more about fees, different permit types and or to obtain a permit, check out the Dhimurru Aboriginal Corporation website. They now also have a convenient online booking system.

NB. Severe penalties apply for moving throughout the region without a permit and visitors are asked to respect the wishes of the Traditional Owners in this regard.

The nhulunbuy liquor permit office is currently closed

Liquor permit applications are available from the Northern Territory Government website.

Once the application has been completed please email it to along with your supporting documents.

A copy of your permit will be emailed to you once processed. Please note processing may take a few days from date of submission.

For any enquires please telephone licensing nt on (08) 8999 1800 and press option 1 then option 1 again.


Fuel is available from Katherine, Mataranka, possibly Bulman Community Store.

Mainoru Store is now closed

The distance from either Katherine or Mataranka through to Nhulunbuy is approx. 715km.

Stay        Play        Discover        Explore       News

Postal Address

12 Westal Street,
Nhulunbuy NT 0880

follow us

Postal Address

12 Westal Street,
Nhulunbuy NT 0880

Follow us

Copyright Walkabout Lodge | All rights reserved | Designed by Captovate | Privacy policy